AirAsia and its long haul partner, Air Asia X, have maintained their number one position in the SmartTravel Asia Poll of Asia’s Top 10 Budget Airlines.
Meanwhile, Jetstar Asia, not unexpectedly, maintained its position as Number 2. Does that mean that Jetstar needs to try harder? Cebu Pacific Air, the largest national flag carrier in the Philippines, moved from fourth to third place, replacing Tiger Airways, which fell four spots to the seventh position in this year’s poll.
“Recognition from the on line global community inspires us to continue doing what we do best: offer the lowest fares, most extensive route network, and service with a smile,” says CEB VP for Marketing and Distribution Candice Iyog.
Asia’s Top 10 Budget Airlines
India dominates the list, with four of its budget carriers making the Top 10 budget airlines lists. Australia comes in second, with two airlines. Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand have one carrier each.
China is conspicuously absent from the list, which comes as no surprise to anyone that flies frequently on Chinese airlines!
The number in parentheses represents the carrier’s position last year.
- Air Asia/Air Asia X (1) – Based in Malaysia
- Jetstar Asia Airways (2) – Based in Australia
- Cebu Pacific Air (4) – Based in the Philippines
- SpiceJet (5) – Based in India
- Kingfisher (6)– Based in India
- IndiGo (8)– Based in India
- Tiger Airways (3)– Based in Singapore
- Virgin Blue (10)– Based in Australia
- Nok Air (7) – Based in Thailand
- Hong Kong Express (9) – Based in Hong Kong and Jet Airways Konnect (-) – Based in India
There are some pretty cool names here, but my favourite has got to be IndiGo!