The Oakland Raiders take on the New York Jets Sunday 25 September 2011 at the Black Hole, a.k.a. the Oakland Coliseum.
And I can assure you, the atmosphere is ALWAYS more heated when the Raiders are playing one of their rivals from the now defunct American Football League. But there is more to do in Oakland this weekend than root for the Raiders at the Black Hole.
You can get into the mood Friday night in nearby San Leandro, where a Black Hole Kickoff Party is planned at Ricky’s Sports Theater and Grill, which is Mecca for the Raider Nation (see below).
All Raiders fans should make a pilgrimage to Ricky’s at least once in their lives.
There’s More to Do There Than Watch Football
Don’t miss the annual Eat Real Food Festival, which takes place this weekend at Oakland’s Jack London Square. Northern California is home to the locavore movement, and you won’t want to miss this.
You can take in a show at one of Oakland’s two spectacularly beautiful movie theatres, the Fox Oakland and the Paramount, both of which have events scheduled for Friday night (see below).
Riding a gondola on Oakland’s beautiful Lake Merritt or attending the Marc Anthony concert at the Oakland Arena Friday night are other options (see below).
You can take in the John Muir exhibition, which is currently running at the Oakland Museum (see below).
And if that’s not enough to convince to come early and spend a couple of nights on the Sunny Side of the Bay before heading to the Black Hole, both the Oakland Zoo and the Chabot Science & Space Center have special events scheduled for Saturday afternoon – perfect for families with kids (see below).
What to Do in Oakland This Weekend
For more information on what to do in Oakland this weekend, please click on the following links:
- Oakland Raiders vs New York Jets in the Black HoleBlack Hole Kickoff Party at Ricky’s Sports Theater and Grill
- Eat Real Festival at Jack London Square
- Some Like It Hot, Savannah Animals, at the Oakland Zoo
- A Walk in the Wild: Continuing John Muir’s Journey exhibition at the Oakland Museum of California
- The Script at the Fox Oakland Theatre
- Psycho at the Paramount Theatre of the Arts
- Gondola Servizio at Lake Merritt
- Neptune Night at the Chabot Science & Space Center
- Marc Anthony at the Oakland Arena