National Football League
UPDATED FOR THE 2018 NFL SEASON!
The Pittsburgh Steelers compete in the North Division of the American Football Conference of the National Football League, playing at Heinz Field. If you can ‘t attend the game in person, here are 20 sports bars where you can root for the Steelers.
The oldest franchise in the AFC, the Pittsburgh Steelers were founded in 1933.Before the now-defunct American Football League (AFL) merged with with the NFL, the Steelers had a lacklustre record, never having won a championship.
After the merger of the AFL and the NFL, however, the Steelers turned into a powerhouse, winning six Super Bowls – more than any other American football team.
The weather on game day is expected to be brutal, with a high of 19 degrees and a low of 6 degrees. There is a 20% chance of flurries or snow showers, with winds of 10 to 15 miles per hour.
Do you really want to bundle up and try to keep warm in an outdoor stadium? Why not root for the Steelers in the comfy confines of a toasty sports bar in the company of like-minded football fans?
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there are fully 1,500 sports bars scattered around the United States that are considered “friendly” to Pittsburgh Steelers fans – at least one in all of the 50 states!
There are even Pittsburgh Steelers sports bars overseas. There are at least two Pittsburgh Steelers sports bars in Thailand and one Pittsburgh Steelers sports bars each in Costa Rica and Peru.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a truly national football fan base. Or make that INTERNATIONAL!!!
Where to Root for the Pittsburgh Steelers in Pennsylvania
It is impossible to list all of the Pittsburgh Steelers bars in Pittsburgh here – let along Pennsylvania. Here is a short list of some of the best spots to root for the Steelers in the Keystone State.
Keep in mind that bars close and fans migrate to other establishments. And sometimes bars decide to broadcast other programming. So always call ahead to make sure the bar is going to show the game you want to watch.
- Jerome Bettis Grille 36 – 393 North Shore Drive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 224-6287.
- McFadden’s – 211 North Shore Drive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 322-3470.
- Peter’s Pub – 116 Oakland Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 681-7465.
- William Penn Tavern – 739 Bellefonte Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 621-1000.
- Beerhive – 2117 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 904-4502.
- Birmingham Bridge Tavern – 2901 Sarah Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 381-2739.
- Primanti Brothers – 46 – 18th Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 263-2142.
- Carson City Saloon – 1401 East Carson Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (412) 481-3203.
- The Sturges Speakeasy – 400 Forster Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (717) 412-0931.
- Sharky’s Café – 3960 Mission Road, Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Telephone: (724) 532-1620.
Where to Root for the Steelers Outside Pennsylvania
The following sports bars outside Pennsylvania tend to attract large numbers of Steelers fans on game day. However, it is always a good idea to call ahead to make sure that the bar is going to show the game you want to watch.
- The Irish Exit – 978 – 2nd Avenue, New York, New York. Telephone: (212) 755-8383.
- Dark Horse – 3443 North Sheffield Avenue, Wrigleyville, Chicago. Telephone: (773) 248-4400.
- The Bowman – 9306 Harford Road, Parkville, Maryland. Telephone: (410) 665-6600.
- Fado Irish Pub – 801 – 1st Avenue, Seattle, Washington. Telephone: (206) 264-2700.
- Aw Shucks Oyster Bar – 9743 Old St. Augustine Road, Jacksonville, Florida. Telephone: (904) 240-0368.
- CitySide Bar – 1960 Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts. Telephone: (617) 566-1002.
- The Patio – 412 Emerson, Palo Alto, California. Telephone: (650) 322-2527.
- Benders Bar and Grill – 10710 Westminster Blvd, Westminster, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 974-5215.
- Blue Palms Brewhouse – 6124 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, California. Telephone: (323) 464-2337.
- Bikinis Sports Bar and Grill – 214 East 6th Street, Austin, Texas. Telephone: (512) 469-0001.
Your Input Wanted
Please leave comments on these establishments and/or recommend other sports bars friendly to Steelers fans in the COMMENT box below.
Also, would love to liven up this post with some fan shots. Please send photos of Steelers fans at sports bars to the Accidental Travel Writer to be added to this post.