Several weeks ago, several journalists, food critics, and travel writers were taken into the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant at the JW Marriott Hotel at Admiralty on Hong Kong Island. I was among them.
Executive Chinese Chef Ip Kwok-fai showed us how to prepare a simple fish dish, Baked Cod Fish with Guanba Honey. The ingredients were few. The method was simple. And the results were superb.
The only part of the procedure that I wouldn’t want to try at home was the Guanba Honey with Soy Sauce. Its preparation was actually quite complicated.
Since it was purely decorative – just to add an artistic pattern on the plate – I don’t think I’d bother with it. So I am classifying it as “optional”.
If you’re an executive chef yourself, you might want to give this a try. Otherwise, I don’t think it would be worth the effort.
Note: When Chef Ip baked the cod fish, he placed it on top of a bed of spring onions, which I’m sure added a subtle nuance to the taste. I asked if I could do this when baking chicken and other meats, and he said, “Yes!”
One more thing: Guangba Honey is exclusively available at Marriott Hotels in Greater China. I’m sure that other high quality organic honeys can also be used.
For 2 to 4 servings
- Cod Fish – 600 grams, without bones
- Thai Asparagus – 2 pieces
Ingredients for Marinade
- Chinese Soy Sauce – 20 grams
- Chinese Dark Soy Sauce – 50 grams
- Honey – 50 grams
- Japanese Soy Sauce – 50 grams
- Salt – 20 grams
- Rinse the cod fish and pat dry. Cut into 6 pieces (about100 grams each).
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Marinate the cod fish for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 250 degrees Centigrade and bake for 13 minutes until the cod fish turns golden brown.
- Take the cod fish out of the oven, brush with honey, and bake again for another 1 minute.
- Boil asparagus for 1 minute and place it on a serving dish. Place the baked cod fish on top of the asparagus.
Optional Guanba Honey with Soy Sauce – Ingredients
- Chinese Soy Sauce – 40 grams.
- Ginger – 3 pieces.
- Honey – 10 grams.
- Rock Candy Sugar – 10 grams.
- Spring Onion – 10 grams.
Optional Sauce – Method
- Combine honey and other ingredients together.
- Dip the back of a tablespoon with the sauce.
- Gently slide the back of of the spoon across the plate to create your own design.