Few – if any – foodies are as fastidious about French food as the Japanese. Except for the French, of course. Does this explain why restaurants in Tokyo have more Michelin stars than New York and Paris combined?
Next to Paris, no other city could possibly have as many top quality French restaurants as Tokyo. Keep reading for a short list of Tokyo’s most popular French restaurants.
According to the 2015 edition of The Michelin Guide Tokyo, the Japanese capital has 12 restaurants with 3 stars, 53 restaurants with 2 stars, and 161 restaurants with one star.
Our ratings, however, are not based on the recommendations of professional food critics. They are based, rather, on the opinions of diners – people that pay to dine – rather than on the opinion of people that GET paid to dine and then evaluate restaurants.
What’s more, we have narrowed our focus a bit.
Lots of restaurants in Tokyo serve fushion cuisine, French-Japanese cuisine, French-Italian cuisine, Mediterranean cuisine – all of which we like. But that’s not the purpose of this list.
Whether it is haute cuisine, nouvelle cuisine, or bistro fare, all of the restaurants on this list serve French cuisine. And if they don’t have an English language website, we didn’t include them.
Best French Eateries in Tokyo
Click on restaurant names for a direct link to their website. TripAdvisor and other sources were consulted in the propartion of this list.
1. Blanc Rouge – The Tokyo Station Hotel, 1-9-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-5220-0014.
2. Le Chateau de Joel Robuchon – (3 Michelin stars) Yebisu Garden Place, 1-13-1 Mita, Meguro, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-5424-1347.
3. Cuisine[s] Michel Troisgros – Hyatt Regency Tokyo 1F, 2-7-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-3348-1234.
4. Chez Olivier – 4-1-10 Kudan Minami, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-6268-9933.
5. Monna Lisa Restaurant Francais – 2-4-1 Marunochi, Marunouchi Bldg., Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-3240-5775.
6. Pierre Gagnaire – 1-12-33 Akasaka, 36/F ANA InterContinental Tokyo, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-3505-1111.
7. Signature – 2-1-1 Nihonbashimuromachi, 37/F Mandarin Oriental Hotel Tokyo, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 120-806-823.
8. L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon – (2 Michelin stars) 6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-5772-7500.
9. Les Saisons – 1-1-1 Uchisaiwaicho Chiyoda, M2/F Main Building, Imperial Hotel Tokyo, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-3504-1111.
10. Apicius – Sanshi-Kaikan Bldg., 1st Basement, 9-4, 1-Chome Yuraku-cho, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81-3-3214-1361.