Airlines and Aviation
If the Edmonton Oilers were left out in the cold last ice hockey season, that anomaly has been corrected. Air Canada Jetz will provide air transport to all SEVEN Canadian ice hockey teams this NHL season.
Air Canada Jetz is an all-Premium charter service staffed by mainline Air Canada pilots and flight attendants. It operates 2 Airbus A319 aircraft outfitted with 58 Business Class seats with leather upholstery.
Last season, Air Canada Jetz, the luxury charter arm of Air Canada, provided air transport to 6 of Canada's 7 National Hockey League (NHL) teams.
The only Canadian ice hockey team left out in the cold was the Edmonton Oilers.
That anomaly has been corrected. The Canadian airline has signed 6 year agreements with all 7 of Canada's NHL teams, starting with the 2015-16 NHL season, which will commence on 7 October 2015 and conclude on 9 April 2016.
The following 7 Canadian ice hockey teams are covered in the agreement …
- Calgary Flames – Pacific Division, NHL Western Conference,
- Edmonton Oilers – Pacific Division, NHL Western Conference,
- Montreal Canadiens – Atlantic Division, NHL Eastern Conference,
- Ottawa Senators – Atlantic Division, NHL Eastern Conference,
- Toronto Maple Leafs – Atlantic Division, NHL Eastern Conference,
- Vancouver Canucks – Pacific Division, NHL Western Conference, and
- Winnipeg Jets – Central Division, NHL Western Conference.
The NHL has a total of 30 ice hockey teams. In addition to the 7 Canadian ice hockey teams, there are 23 NHL teams in the United States.
Air Canada Jetz has also signed a 6 year agreement to provide air transport to the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball.
Is this an issue of split loyalties? Didn't the baseball team sign an agreement with WestJet for a branded flight deck earlier this year?
2015 – 16 NHL Season at a Glance
- A total of 1,230 ice hockey games will be played in the 2015-16 NHL season. Each ice hockey team will play 82 games.
- Based in Nassau on Long Island, New York, since 1972, the New York Islanders will play their first game at Barclay's Center in the New York City borough of Brooklyn on 9 October 2015. Barclay's Centre also plays host to the Brooklyn Nets of the National Basketball Association. They formerly played in New Jersey, moving to Brooklyn in 2012.
- The NHL regular season will pause mid season from 28 January to 1 February 2015 so teams can take part in the 2016 NHL All-Star Weekend in Nashville, Tennessee.
- On 27 February 2016, the Colorado Avalanche will play their first regular season NHL game at an outdoor venue, Coors Field in Denver, against the Detroit Red Wings.
- The Stanley Cup Playoffs will commence on 15 April 2016 and continue through the middle of June.
A Peak Inside the Cabin …
And now, for a peak inside the cabin of one of those Air Canada Jazz' Airbus A319's that will be flying Canadian ice hockey players around North America for the next 6 NFL seasons. And check out those comfy leather upholstered seats!
Have you ever flown Air Canada? What do you think of their in-flight service?
Please post your comment in the Comment Box below or on Facebook at the following link: Accidental Travel Writer on Facebook. And don't forget to LIKE us while you're there!