World Airline News
A hotel at Singapore Changi Airport tops the list of the world’s best airport hotels. Three hotels in Greater China, three hotels in Europe, two hotels in North America, and one hotel in the Middle East also made the top 10 list.
The Skytrax World Airport Awards conducts a global Airport Customer Satisfaction Survey each year.
Established in 1999, they are considered a benchmark of excellence in the aviation industry.
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport has been named World’s Best Airport Hotel and Best Airport Hotel in Asia for the second year in a row at the 2016 Skytrax World Airport Awards.
Hotels were evaluated on guest satisfaction regarding the following factors: overall experience, level of service, room and bathroom cleanliness, quality of food, leisure, fitness, and spa facilities, comfort, and accessibility to the airport.
Most of the top rated airport hotels had direct access to airport terminals and could be reached on foot. Some were actually located within or on top of the terminal.
Others took a little more effort to reach, including lengthy walkways, trams, and even shuttle buses.
The airport hotel in Hong Kong is located near the airport. While it provides a shuttle service, it does not run 24 hours.
Which means, if you’ve got a late night arrival or an early morning departure, you might have to go by taxi.
What Constitutes an ‘Airport Hotel’?
The airport hotel at Beijing Capital Airport was the only hotel located at a substantial distance from the airport terminal.
While it does offer a 24-hour complimentary shuttle, it does seem to be stretching the definition of what constitutes an “airport hotel”. The ride takes fully 35 minutes!
And what happens if there’s a traffic jam?
If you’ve got a lot of time to waste, facilities can be a deal breaker.
All of the hotels on the top 10 list had at least two food and beverage outlets. Most had several. With six restaurants and a patisserie, the hotel at Hong Kong Airport surely wins the food and beverage sweepstakes!
While many of the hotels had either indoor or outdoor swimming pools, some of them had neither. The hotel at Hong Kong Airport had both.
Most of the hotels had fitness centres and/or spas. One of the hotels had a tennis court.
The airport hotel at Hong Kong International Airport also had an outdoor jogging trail through landscaped grounds.
If you need to schedule a stopover of more than a couple of hours, this top 10 list might be useful in determining which airports to transit flights in if you have a choice.
1. Singapore: Crowne Plaza Changi Airport – 243 rooms will be added this year bringing the total to 563 rooms. Located at Terminal 3, a five-minute walk from Terminal 2 via a covered mezzanine linkbridge. Passengers arriving from Terminal 1 may travel via the Skytrain to Terminal 3. For passengers arriving from Terminal 2, the Skytrain travelling between Terminal 2 and 3 is closed till further notice. Facilities at the hotel include three food and beverage outlets, an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre, and a spa.
2. Hong Kong: Regent Airport Hotel Hong Kong – 605 rooms. Located near the airport with a complimentary shuttle bus. Facilities include six restaurants, a patisserie, a fitness centre, a spa, a jogging trail, and indoor and outdoor swimming pools.
3. Guangzhou, China: Pullman Guangzhou Baiyun Airport – 578 rooms. Direct access to airport terminal. Facilities include three restaurants, a bar, a fitness centre, a spa, an outdoor swimming pool, and a tennis court.
4 . Munich, Germany: Hilton Munich Airport – 162 additional rooms will be added before the end of 2016. Direct access to airport, within walking distance of terminals 1 and 2. Facilities include one restaurant, two bars, a fitness centre, and indoor heated swimming pool.
5. London, England: Sofitel London Heathrow – 605 rooms. Direct access to Terminal 5 with walkway links to other terminals. Facilities include three restaurants, two bars, a fitness centre, and a spa.
6. Beijing, China: Langham Place Beijing Capital Airport – 372 rooms. Thirty-five minutes to airport by 24 hour complimentary shuttle bus. Facilities include three restaurants, a bar, a fitness centre.
7. Frankfurt, Germany: Hilton Frankfurt Airport – 249 rooms. Direct access to terminal 1 via sky walk. Facilities include a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness centre.
8. Bahrain, U.A.E.: Movenpick Hotel Bahrain – 106 rooms. Across from the airport. Facilities include three restaurants.
9. Vancouver, British Columbia: Fairmont Vancouver Airport – 386 rooms. Direct access to US, international, and domestic terminals. Facilities include a restaurant, a bar, a health club, an indoor swimming pool, and a spa.
10. Dallas, Texas: Grand Hyatt DFW – 298 rooms. Direct access to terminals via Skylink and Terminal Link. Facilities include food and beverage outlets, an outdoor swimming pool, a fitness centre, and a spa.
What factors would you take into account when booking a hotel near an airport?
Please post your comment in the Comment Box below or on Facebook at the following link: Accidental Travel Writer on Facebook. And don’t forget to LIKE us while you’re there!