Hotel rates not only depend on when you travel. They also depend on when you book, and this can vary from region to region, country to country, and city to city. So when is the best time to book rooms for summer vacation?
TripAdvisor.com analyzed booking data to determine optimal booking dates to get the lowest hotel room rates for summer travel.
In some places, the earlier you book the better. In other places, you’re better to wait till the last minute, when hoteliers are scrambling to fill unbooked rooms.
If you’re traveling in Europe, you can save an average of 23% on hotel rooms if you book rooms three to five months in advance.
In the United States, it wouldn’t usually make as much difference. The optimal booking period is two months in advance, and you can only expect to save about 7%.
But there are exceptions: booking a hotel room in New York two to four months in advance could save you a whopping 25% during the summer peak season!
Summer is defined as June, July, and August.
Hotel pricing for the summer months remains relatively stable throughout the year, but travelers booking hotel rooms two months before their summer vacation can expect to save an average of 7% on their hotel rooms.
- New York, New York: 2 to 4 months in advance for 25% savings
- Orlando, Florida: 1 to 4 months in advance for 10% savings
The best time to book hotel rooms for summer travel in Africa is five months in advance, when an average saving of 21% can be expected.
- Cape Town, South Africa: 3 months in advance for 13% saving
- Marrakesh, Morocco: 4 months in advance for 28% savings
Booking a hotel three months before departing on a summer trip is the best time in Asia, when travelers can save 23% over peak pricing. Room rates tend to rise three to five weeks before check-in dates and then fall sharply during the final two weeks before arrival.
- Mumbai, India – 3 months in advance for 17% savings
- Bangkok, Thailand – 3 months in advance for 16% savings
- Beijing, China – 2 to 6 months in advance for 16% savings
- Hanoi, Vietnam – 3 months in advance for 16% savings
- Jakarta, Indonesia – 3 months in advance for 39% savings
- Singapore – 2 weeks to 5 months in advance for 26% savings
- Tokyo, Japan – 2 to 5 months in advance for 31% savings
Travelers booking hotel rooms in the Caribbean during the summer can expect to save 7% over peak level pricing periods.
Travelers planning to visit Europe during the summer months should book hotel rooms three to five months in advance to save and average of 23%.
- Barcelona, Spain: 2 to 7 months in advance for 27% savings
- Dublin, Ireland – 2 to 5 months in advance for 14% savings
- Istanbul, Turkey – 5 months in advance for 29% savings
- London, England – 3 to 5 months in advance for 18% savings
- Moscow, Russia – 4 to 7 months in advance for 55% savings
- Paris, France – 4 months in advance for 32% savings
- Prague, Czech Republic – 2 to 5 months in advance for 33% savings
- Rome, Italy – 3 to 5 months in advance for 32% savings
Travelers to Central America can expect to save 7% if they book rooms three months in advance. Travelers to South America can save an average of 20% if they book four months in advance. Travelers waiting till the last minute can save an additional 2 to 4% booking within the final few weeks before arrival.
- Cancun, Mexico: 2 to 4 months in advance for 16% savings
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: 3 to 5 months in advance for 11% savings
The best time for budget-minded travelers to book hotel rooms in the Middle East is 4 months before arrival, when they can expect to save 24%. Prices increase slightly three to four weeks before arrival and then drop a couple of weeks before arrival.
- Dubai, UAE: 2 months in advance for 40% savings
South Pacific and Australasia
In the South Pacific, travelers can save about 19% per night by booking in advance.
- Sydney, Australia: Within 5 months for 24% savings
Another consideration: hotels catering to business travelers sometimes offer discounts on weekends and public holidays.
Hotels catering to leisure travelers sometimes offer discounts on weekdays.
If you are flexible, you can sometimes save money by making small adjustments in your schedule.
Compare hotel room prices on TripAdvisor.com! >>