Le French GourMAY
Fine dining Chinese restaurant in Kowloon with breathtaking views of Victoria Harbour serves set menus pairing Cantonese dishes with fine wines from Bordeaux. Will it find favour with finicky Hong Kong oenophiles?
Now in its eighth year, Le French GourMAY is the gastronomic component of Le French May.
Launched in 1993, Le French May is a celebration of French culture in Hong Kong.
Despite its modest beginnings 23 years ago, Le French May has evolved into one of the most significant cultural events of the year in Hong Kong – if not Asia.
Roughly 500 events are held in Hong Kong from 1 May to 30 June. Culinary events fall under the Le French GourMAY umbrella.
Many restaurants in Hong Kong serve special menu during Le French May, and wine-pairing menus are becoming increasingly popular.
An interesting trend in recent years is the pairing of French wines with Chinese and other Asian cuisines during Le French May.
Tin Lung Heen at The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong, in West Kowloon will serve a six course wine-pairing dinner menu from 1 May to 31 July 2016.
Mouth-watering Cantonese dishes will be paired with French wines from Bordeaux.
Cantonese cuisine is considered one of the Eight Great Cuisines of China.
- Chilled crab claw and pumpkin marinated with Jasmine and pan-fried scallop with salmon roe will be paired with 2012 Meursault Clos du Cromin Genot Boulanger.
- Double-boiled Matsutake mushroom soup with red date and vegetable and baked lamb roll with black and white garlic will be paired with 2008 Alter Ego Palmer.
- Roasted crispy French duck with honey and vintage tangerine peel will be paired with 1995 Château Palmer and 2011 Château Palmer.
- The penultimate course will be fried rice with braised abalone and fresh mushrooms.
- There will be two desserts: chilled coconut cream with aloe vera and baked egg custard tart with bird’s nest.
A five-course wine pairing menu will be served at lunch.
In addition to the Chinese restaurant, the Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong, has a fine dining Italian eatery with one Michelin star, a informal café, a lounge and bar, a caviar bar, and Ozone, which – at the top of the hotel – is the world’s highest cocktail lounge.
Ozone, as the lounge is called, has spectacular views of Victoria and Harbour and Hong Kong Island – when it is not shrouded in clouds or above the clouds.
Tin Lung Heen, Level 102, The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong, International Commerce Centre, 1 Austin Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Telephone: (852) 2263-2270.