Holidays and Festivals
Mother's Day was first celebrated in the United States in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother, who was a peace activist that cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the Civil War.
US President Woodrow Wilson signed a declaration in 1914 proclaiming the 2nd Sunday in May Mother's Day.
By the 1920s, Hallmark and other companies had started selling Mother's Day cards. The holiday is now celebrated in countries around the world.
While most countries celebrate Mother's Day on the 2nd Sunday in May, there are many exceptions. In Britain, Ireland, and Nigeria, for example, it is celebrated on the 4th Sunday in Lent. In Myanmar it is celebrated on the Full Moon in January. In Norway it is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in February.
As an interesting aside, Mother's Day should be written as “a singular possessive, for each family to honor its own mother,” Anna said, and “not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers of the world.”
A sampling of quotes about mothers by famous people follows.
- A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother's love endures through all. ~ Washington Irving
- If I was damned of body and soul, I know whose prayers would make me whole, Mother o' mine, O mother o'mine. ~ Rudyard Kipling
- My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her. ~ George Washington
- You never realize how much your mother loves you till you explore the attic – and find every letter you ever sent her, every finger painting, clay pot, bead necklace, Easter chicken, cardboard Santa Claus, paperlace Mother's Day card and school report since day one. – Pam Brown
- [A] mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled. ~ Emily Dickinson
- Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. ~ Robert Browning
- The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men – from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
- My mother's great. She has the major looks. She could stop you from doing anything, through a closed door even, with a single look. Without saying a word, she has that power to rip out your tonsils. ~ Whoopi Goldberg
Whenever I'm with my mother, I feel as though I have to spend the whole time avoiding land mines.~ Amy Tan
- Mother's Day is in honor of the best Mother who ever lived – the Mother of your heart.
~ Anna Jarvis
Source: Inspiration Oasis