Food + Beverage
Hong Kong, Singapore, or Tokyo – which city is Asia’s food capital? And which type of cuisine reigns supreme in the region? Check out Asia’s top 50 restaurants for 2016.
In terms cooking styles, restaurants serving French, Japanese, and French-Japanese fusion cuisine dominate the list of Asia’s top 10 restaurants.
Many restaurants serving other types of food, however, also claim to have menus with a French influence.
One of the biggest surprises is that the winning restaurant, for the second year in a row, serves Indian cuisine. That would be less of a surprise if it were in Calcutta, Mumbai, or New Delhi.
But it’s not. It’s in Bangkok, where you would have expected a Thai restaurant to top the list.
A restaurant in Manila serves Spanish food with Filipino influences, which is not so surprising considering the fact that the Philippines was a Spanish colony for 377 years.
A restaurant in Shanghai lists no address and has no website. Diners are picked up by minibus driven to an undisclosed location. They are dropped off at a dark alley, where they are ushered inside through an unmarked door.
1. Gaggan, 68/1 Soi Langsuan, Ploenchit Road, Lumpini, Bangkok, Thailand. Telephone: (662) 652 1700. Progressive Indian Cuisine.
2. Narisawa, Minami Aoyama 2-6-15 Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3 5785 0062. Omikase Style Japanese Cuisine.
3. Restaurant Andre, 41 Bukit Pasoh Road, Singapore.Telephone: +65 6534 8880. Southern French Nouvelle Cuisine.
4. Amber, Landmark Oriental, 15 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong. Telephone: (852) 2132 0066. Classic French Cuisine.
5. Nihonryori Ryugin, 06−0032 Tokyo, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Telephone: +81 3-3423-8006. Traditional Japanese Cuisine.
6. Waku Ghin, Level 2 Dining, L2-01, The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. Telephone: +65 6688 8507. Modern Japanese.
7. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, an undisclosed location in Shanghai, China. Telephone: +86 21 6323 9898. Experimental Comfort Food.
8. Nahm, Como Metropolitan Bangkok, 27 South Sathorn Roadd, Thung Maha Mek, Sathon, Bangkok, Thailand. Telephone : +66 2 625 3333. Royal Thai Cuisine.
9. Indian Accent, At The Manor, 77 Friends Colony, New Delhi, India.Telephone: +91 11 4323 5151. Modern Indian Cuisine
10. Lung King Heen, Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong, 8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong. Telephone: +852 3196 8888. Modern Cantonese Cuisine.
Click here for complete list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants.