Entertainment + Sightseeing
Sydney is one of the first cities in the world to welcome in the New Year, and it does so with 2 spectacular fireworks displays – one at 9 pm and a second at 12 midnight. Here are my choices for the Top 10 vantage points.
I once had the privilege of watching a fireworks display from the 25th floor of a nearby apartment building, and I must say, there is something about being at eye level with the pyrotechnics – especially if you are up close, as I was that night.
The second best place to enjoy fireworks if they are launched over water is from the deck of a boat. The display overhead is reflected on the water – and there is an undeniable ricochet effect.
Overwise, you'll have to settle for a vantage point on the ground. Thankfully, most of the top vantage points in Sydney, Australia, don't charge admission, but you might have to arrive early to secure a good spot.
Best Vantage Points
Here are my Top 10 Picks for viewing the New Year's Eve fireworks in Sydney, Australia.
1. Shangri-La hotel Sydney – Altitude Restaurant will serve a midnight fireworks buffet – or enjoy the pyrotechnics over cocktails at Blue Bar on 36.
2. Sydney Harbour Ferry – Bring a picnic lunch and watch the fireworks as you sail around Sydney Harbour – new this year!
3. Sydney Opera House – You'll have to arrive early as this is one of the most popular spots to watch the fireworks. Food and beverage can be purchased on site.
4. Campbell's Cove – This spot offers good views of the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Plan to arrive before 4 pm – it fills up early.
5. Bradfield Park, Milsons Point – Popular with families, this vantage point offers one of the best views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.
6. Macquarie Street Lawns – Located next to the Sydney Opera House, this spot offers excellent views of Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
7. Pirrama Park – Another spot popular with families, this vantage point offers a good view of the Western side of Sydney Harbour and the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It has fully licensed bars, and there will be temporary food vending operators from midday until past midnight.
8. Mrs Macquaries Point – This popular viewing site has excellent views of the fireworks. It also offers food and beverages services.
9. Blues Point Reserve – This vantage point offers a view of the Western side of Sydney Harbour.
10. North Head – Situated in Sydney Harbour National Park, this venue is less crowded and offers a panoramic view of Syndey Harbour and the Sydney skyline.
Your Response Wanted!
Have you ever watched the fireworks over Sydney Harbour? What is your favourite vantage point?
Please post your comment in the Comment Box below or on Facebook at the following link: Accidental Travel Writer on Facebook. And don't forget to LIKE us while you're there!