The Oakland Zoo is situated within Knowland Park in the rolling hills of East Oakland. The 100-acre zoo houses 660 animals – both native and exotic. There are also family-friendly rides, a Sky Train, and several food and beverage outlets.
The Oakland Zoo strives to present animals in a relatively natural habitat, and more and larger habitats are planned.
There are interactivity exhibits, children's play areas, a wildlife theater – the list goes on.
The Oakland Zoo is noted for its Elephant Exhibit, where the pachyderms are allowed to roam about freely. You won't find any "ride the elephant" safaris in this zoo, which strives to be socially responsible.
The Oakland Zoo houses 660 native an exotic animals. Included are birds, mannals, reptiles, amphibians, and arthropods.
There is more than animals at the Oakland Zoo. Adventure Landing has a safari, a carousel, a train, a kiddie's roller coaster, race cars, bush pilot training, and a Sky Ride, which soars high over head
You won't find any high adrenaline rides at the Oakland Zoo. All of them are targeted at families with small children.
Located in the rolling hills of East Oakland, the Oakland Zoo offers panoramic view of Oakland, San Francisco Bay, San Francisco, and Marin County.
Food + Beverage
You won't go hungry at the Oakland Zoo. There are several eateries serving everything from quick snacks that you can eat on the run to complete meals at sit-down restaurants.
- Tuskers – located inside Flamingo Plaza, this cafe serves hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, fresh salads, frozen snacks, and other treats. Indoor and outdoor seating.
- The Landing Cafe – located at the top of the gondola in California Trail, this eatery serves hamburgers, sandwiches, wood-fired pizzas, fresh salads, frozen snacks, and other treats. Indoor and outdoor seating with sweeping view of San Francisco Bay.
- Safari Cafe – loated in the rides areas, this eatery serves BBQ, ice cream, cotton candy, and snacks. BBQ grilled special are served on weekends and in the summer. Outdoor seating.
- Madagascar Trading Post – located in the children's zoo, this cafe serves wraps, ice ream, snacks, and beverages.
- Budongo Grind – located next to the African Veldt, this coffee house serves coffee, cookies. and other beverages.
- Ice Cream Cart – located near the African Velt, this cart serves ice cream and bottled water.
How to Get there
The Oakland Zoo is relatively close to the Oakland Coliseum and Arena. By car, taxi, or Uber, the drive takes about 10 minutes.
By bus, AC Transit offers an hourly service on the 46 and 46L lines. The ride from the Coliseum BART station takes under 20 minutes. Get off at Mountain Boulevard and Golf Links Road. The walk to the entrance of the zoo takes less than 10 minutes. The entire trip should take roughly half an hour.
Where to Stay
There are several hotels and motels located in the Oakland Airport/Oakland Coliseum area. Other options would include downtown Oakland and the neighboring communities of Alameda, Berkeley, and Castro Valley.
Oakland Zoo - 9777 Golf Links Road, Oakland, California. Telephone: (510) 632-9525 x100.