The Oakland Raiders have a large fan base in Los Angeles, and fans will get two chances to root for the Raiders this season: once against the Rams and once against the Chargers. Here’s a complete travel guide for visiting football fans: tourist attractions, hotels, and restaurants.
National Football League
The Raiders will return to Southern California in the regular season to take on their American Football Conference Western Division rivals, the Los Angeles Chargers, on Sunday 7 October.
Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
The Los Angeles Rams play at Los Angeles Memorial Stadium, which is also home to the University of Southern California Trojans.
The Memorial Coliseum is located at 3911 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California, just off I-110 and I-10 in Exposition Park.
The stadium is one block south of the University of Southern California and several tourist attractions and food and beverage outlets.
The stadium is also situated near several public transportation options including Metro light rail and bus lines. It even connects to Amtrak for football fans attending games from other counties in the region.
The Los Angeles Chargers play at StubHub Center, a mult-use sports complex located at 18400 Avalon Boulevard, Carson, California.
StubHub Center is the temporary home of the Los Angeles Chargers, who relocated to Los Angeles from San Diego in 2017. The sports facility was originally built for soccer and only holds a paltry 27,000 fans.
The Chargers alienated many of their fans in San Diego when they left the city they had called home for more than half a century at the end of the 2016 NFL season.
But the Chargers have failed to capture the hearts of football fans in Los Angeles, whose loyalties seem split between the Raiders and the Rams.
As a result, the Chargers have been having a difficult time filling the stadium. Somewhat embarrassingly, there are often more fans of opposing football teams in attendance than fans of the home team.
But the Bolts should be used to that. Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego was often referred to as “Blackhole South” because whenever the Raiders played there, Raiders fans significantly outdrew Chargers fans.
Considering the large Raider fan base in Greater Los Angeles, I can only believe that that tradition will be maintained at StubHub Center.
The Chargers are hoping to move into Los Angeles Stadium in Inglewood, California, which they will share with the Los Angeles Rams, in 2020.
The following pre-game events have been announced …
- Raiderpalooza Invasion 2 – Hosted by Raider Nation Against the NFL and two others, Saturday 21 July from 1 am to 10 pm at Bolsa Chica State Beach Tower 21 Bolsa Chica State Beach, Orange County, California
- Raider Nation Papas and Beer – Hosted by Alfred Blue and Necole Key, Performing Live on Stage: Rodney O., Saturday 4 August at from 12 noon to 7 pm at Rosarito Beach, Mexico
- Pre-season Raiders vs. Rams Tailgate Party – Hosted by Raider Events, Los Angeles Raider Nation Family, and Bring Back the Los Angeles Raiders, Special Guest: Odis McKinney, Performers: RnB HipHop artist David Ortiz, Lavell Morris AKA: Read, DJ MasterKim on the turntables, Saturday 28 August from 8 am to 1 pm at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, 3911 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California.
- The Black Hole LA Official Tailgate Party Raiders vs. Chargers – Hosted by Raider Nation Against the NFL, Special Guest: Tom Flores, Sunday 7 October from 9 am to 1 pm at StubHub Center, 18400 Avalon Boulevard, Carson, California.
If you known of other pre-grame events, please give details in the comments box below.
Where to Stay
The following hotels are located within 3.5 miles of Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. All of them are members of reputable hotel chains. They are listed in their approximate distance from the stadium.
- Radisson Midtown at USC – 3540 South Figueroa, Los Angeles, California. 0.5 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- J.W. Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live – 900 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. 2.5 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles L.A. Live – 901 Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. 2.5 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles – 900 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. 2.5 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Residence Inn by Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE – 901 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. 2.5 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Rodeway Inn Convention Center – 1904 West Olympic Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. 2.6 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Ramada by Wyndham Los Angeles/Downtown Best – 1901 West Olympicsa Boulevard, Los Angeles, California.2.7 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Sheraton Grand Los Angeles – 711 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, California.2.9 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown – 900 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California.2.9 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
- Holiday Inn Express – Los Angeles Downtown West – 611 South Westlake Avenue, Los Angeles, California. 3.2 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium
This listing contains affiliate links. If you book a hotel room through one of these links, I will get a small commission – at not extra price for you.
Where to Eat
You won’t go hungry in Greater Los Angeles. As one Raider fan puts it, there are so many great places to eat in L.A., it’s difficult to pick out just one or two favourites!
The following eateries, however, are recommended by fans of the Oakland Raiders living in or familiar with the area:
- The Hat – 1 West Valley Blvd, Alhambra, CA. Tel: (626) 282-0140. Famous for pastrami, burgers, hot dogs, and chili. Recommended by Raider fan Tee Teo, who says, “There are a few around the city.”
- Pink’s Hot Dogs – 709 North La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles, CA. Tel: (323) 931-4223. Recommended by Raider fan Tee Teo.
- In-N-Out Burger – 7009 South Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA. Fast food. There are numerous locations throughout Greater Los Angeles. Recommended by Raider fan Colleen Merriwether.
- Roscoes House of Chicken and Waffles – 621 West Manchester Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. Tel: (323) 752-6211. Soul food. There are seven outlets throughout Greater Los Angeles. Recommended by Raider fans Colleen Merriwether and Chris Stashik.
- Fisherman’s Outlet – 529 South Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA. Tel: (213) 627-7231. Restaurant and seafood market. Recommended by Raider fan Danny Trujillo.
- El Tepeyac Cafe – 812 North Evergreen Avenue, Los Angeles, CA. Tel: (323) 268-1960. Mexican food. Recommended by Raider fans Chris Stashik and Carlos Gomez, who says. “El Tepeyac in East Los Angeles is the best Mexican spot in my opinion. They are home of the Manual Burrito and have been featured on Man vs Food.”
- Lock and Key – 11033 Downey Avenue, Downey, CA. Tel: (562) 822-8281. Recommended by Raider fan Carlos Gomez, who says, “For steak, I would recommend Lock and Key in Downey, home of the Tomahawk Steak.”
Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Los Angeles
Los Angeles is a sprawling metropolis, and there is more to do there than attend football games.
If possible, you should try to arrive a day or two early or stay on a day or two after the game to take advantage of the many things that Southern California has to offer.
Here is a short list of some of the region’s top tourist attractions. Click on links for more information.
1313 Disneyland Drive, Anaheim, California. The original Disneyland theme park in Southern California has been enchanting visitors since 1955!
100 Universal City Plaza, Los Angeles, California. One of the oldest film studios still in use, plus – a full-fledged theme park and water park!
1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, California. Acclaimed for its dramatic architecture, beautiful gardens, and stunning views of Los Angeles, it has a important collection of pre-20th-century European paintings, drawings, illuminated manuscripts, sculptures, decorative arts, and photographs!
2800 East Observatory Road, Los Angeles, California. Planetarium, observatory, and museum – plus great views of world-famous Hollywood sign!
Knott’s Berry Farm
8939 Beach Boulevard, Buena Vista, California. A 160-acre theme park with 39 rides, including 10 roller coasters and two water slides. Also famous for its chicken dinners and boysenberry pies!
Battleship USS Iowa BB-61
250 South Harbor Boulevard, San Pedro, Los Angeles, California. A battleship turned museum, it was the last American battleship to have served in the Atlantic Ocean during World War II!
Peterson Automotive Museum
6060 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California. Located along Museum Row along the Miracle Mile, it is one of the world’s largest automotive museums!
California Science Center
700 Exposition Park Drive, Los Angeles, California. The largest science museum in the Western United States, it houses the Space Shuttle Endeavor and other significant spacecraft.
221 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, California. Located in Downtown Los Angeles, this museum houses the art collection of philanthropist Eli Broad. The building itself is a work of art!
1126 Queens Highway, Long Beach, California. A luxurious transatlantic ocean liner that was decommissioned in 1967 and converted into a luxurious hotel. museum, and shopping arcade. Events are also held there!
Expected Weather Conditions
The average high in August is in the mid- to high 80s, Fahrenheit, with lows averaging in the mid 60s. Rain is unlikely.
The average high in October is in the low to mid-80s, with lows averaging around 60 degrees. Rain is unlikely.
Updated weather forecasts will be added closer to game days.
Friday – sunny with a high of 78 degrees and a low of 48 degrees. Saturday – sunny with a high of 72 degrees and a low of 48 degrees Sunday – partly cloudy with a high of 68 degrees and a low of 48 degrees Monday – partly cloudy with a high of 70 degree and a low of 51 degrees
Where to Stay Near StubHub Center
There are numerous hotels and motels nearby, but the following property is the official hangout of Oakland Raider fans:
- Double Tree by Hilton Carson – One Civic Plaza Drive, Carson, CA. Tel: (866) 767-0278.
This listing will be expanded closer to the game.
If You’re Flying …
There are five major airports in Greater Los Angeles. Hollywood Burbank Airport is the closest and most convenient air field to Los Angeles Memorial Stadium.
While Long Beach Airport is the closest and most convenient air field to StubHub Stadium, the number of flights is limited.
Los Angeles International (LAX) is by far the largest airport with flights to travel destinations all over the country and the rest of the world, but it is both massive and crowded.
- Los Angeles International Airport is 14 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. The drive takes about 14 minutes. The airport is 12.6 miles from StubHub Center. The drive takes 25 to 30 minutes.
- Long Beach Airport is 22 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. The drive takes about 21 minutes. The airport is 11 miles from StubHub Center. The drive takes about 16 minutes.
- Hollywood Burbank Airport is 20 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. The drive takes about 20 minutes. The airport is 30 miles from StubHub Center. The drive takes at least 35 minutes.
- John Wayne Airport in Orange County is 41 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. The drive takes about 37 minutes. The airport is 30 miles from StubHub Center. The drive takes at least 31 minutes.
- Ontario International Airport is 44 miles from Los Angeles Memorial Stadium. The drive takes about 43 minutes. The airport is 51 miles from the StubHub Center. The drive takes at least 52 minutes.
Your Input Wanted!
Do you live in or have you visited Greater Los Angeles? If so, please comment on sightseeing attractions, restaurants, and/or hotels in the COMMENT box below.
Your input will be much appreciated by other football fans!
This is part of a series of Definitive Travel Guides for fans of the National Football League.