Thai style Grilled Beef Salad is a yummy salad that is popular in Thailand. There are only a few ingredients, it is easy to prepare, and there is little cleanup. With a sweet and sour sauce, it makes an excellent starter or a yummy free-standing dish.
Thai Cooking Class
Yam Nuea Yang, known in English as Grilled Beef Salad or Grilled Steak Salad, is a popular Thai dish that is as easy to make as it is delicious.
The meat is usually cooked medium rare, which is fine by me because that is exactly how I like my beef cooked.
For this reason, the beef should be grilled whole and then sliced rather than being sliced first and then grilled. This dish is NOT a stir-fry.
If you prefer your beef cooked medium well or well-done, you can make the appropriate adjustments.
For example, you could slice the beef first to ensure that it is fully cooked.
I learned how to make Grilled Beef Salad at one of the restaurants at Proud Phuket, where I was hosted for two nights.
Executive Chef Tangkuay Kwangkaew and an assistant had set up a table on the terrace of Yai Yai Kitchen, which overlooks the hotel’s lovely courtyard and swimming pool.
All of the ingredients and utensils needed to cook three mouth-watering Thai dishes had been arranged on a table.
A hotel employee took photos of the class for me so I could focus on learning how to prepare the dishes.
The Ingredients …
Here is what you will need to make Grilled Beef Salad …
The following ingredients are need to prepare this dish …
- 150 grams – beef tenderloin
- 1/3 glove – garlic (chopped)
- 1 piece – chili (chopped, optional)
- 1 tablespoon – fish sauce (Mega Chef or Squid brand recommended)
- I piece – lime juice
- 10 grams – palm sugar
- 30 grams – onion (sliced)
- 30 grams – tomato (sliced)
- 20 grams – celery (cut)
- 20 grams – spring cut (cut)
The Method …
This is how it’s done …
- Start by sprinkling beef with salt and pepper.
2. Put the beef in a frying pan.
3. Fry the beef as you like it – rare, medium rare, medium well, well done?
4. Remove beef from pan and slice thinly.
5. Put fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, garlic, and chili in a mixing bowl. Add beef.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well, and plate. Serve to hungry diners.
The Verdict …
When it comes to return on investment (ROI), this dish was relatively easy to prepare and there weren’t many ingredients, yet it was absolutely delicious.
And there also wasn’t much cleanup, either!
Grilled Beef Salad would make an excellent starter – and a mouth-watering stand-alone dish.
I like beef cooked medium rare, so this dish was especially well-suited to me.
Yai Yai Kitchen
The class was held on the terrace of Yai Yai Kitchen, overlooking the swimming pool at Proud Phuket, a four-star hotel in Southern Thailand.
One of four food and beverage outlets at the hotel, the eatery serves an international breakfast buffet in the morning and Thai dishes for lunch and dinner.
Want to Know More?
- Click HERE for my review of Yai Yai’s Kitchen>>
- Click HERE for my review of Proud Phuket>>
- Click HERE for my review of the Spa>>
If you try making this dish at home, please let me know how it turned out and photo would also be appreciated!
Yai Yai Kitchen – Proud Phuket, 135 Soi Naiyang 2, Naiyang Beach,, Saku, Thalang, Chang Wat, Phuket, Thailand.