Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
Hundreds of thousands of celebrants will line both sides of Victoria Harbour to view the Chinese New Year fireworks on 6 February. Why fight the crowded streets and waterfront promenades when many restaurants will offer special menus and better views?
This year’s Chinese Year Year firework display will begin at 8 pm on Wednesday 6 February. It will last about 23 minutes, with thousands of pyrotechnic shells being launched into the skies over Victoria Harbour from five barges anchored in front of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center.
The fireworks display will be visible from both sides of Victoria Harbour extending from Central to Tin Hau.
Restaurants on Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula will offer an attractive alternative to braving the crowds on the eveninb of 6 February 2018 as a spectacular pyrotechnic display lights up the skies over Victoria Harbour.
Hong Kong and Kowloon Restaurants with a Harbour View
Here is a short list of restaurants offering some of the best views of Victoria Harbour. Some are located on the top floors of high rise hotels or commercial buildings. Others are right on the water.
A few of these restaurants offer outdoor seating. Others have outdoor terraces that you can walk out onto to watch the fireworks and then return inside.
Reservations for dinner or drinks are highly recommended during Chinese New Year and other holidays. Some outlets might be fully booked for private parties.
When making reservations, make sure that you will be able to remain at the eatery or in the cocktail lounge to watch the fireworks display.
Also, be forewarned that cloud cover can sometimes obscure views of the pyrotechnic display.
1. Dockyard – located near the ferry pier in Whampoa on the Kowloon Peninsula, Dockyard is a spacious venue with eight food outlets and a full service bar.
Level 1, Kerry Hotel, 38 Hung Luen Road, Hung Hom Bay, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
2. Ce La Vi – expect one of the best New Year’s Eve parties in town at the three-floor venue, with spectacular views of Victoria Harbour.
25/F, California Tower, 32 D’Aguliar Street, Lan Kwai Fong, Central, Hong Kong Island.
3. InterContinental Hong Kong – right across Victoria Harbour from the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre is the InterContinental Hong Kong, which has several food and beverage outlets, some of which have excellent harbour views.
18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
4. Cafe Deco Bar Seafood and Grill – international cuisine with a focus on grilled meats and seafood. Cafe Deco has a panoramic view of Victoria Harbour.
20th Floor, The One, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
Shop G63, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
6. Above & Beyond – serving mouth-watering Cantonese cuisine, Above & Beyond affords breathtaking views of Victoria Harbour.
Level 28, Hotel Icon, 17 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
7. The French Window – contemporary French cuisine with sea-level views of Victoria Harbour.
3101, Podium Level 3, IFC Mall, 8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong.
8. Aqua – Italian and Japanese fare, with gravity-defying views of Victoria Harbour.
30/F, 1 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
9. BLT Steak – a modern American style steakhouse with a Mardi Gras Spectacular on New Year’s Eve.
Shop G62, F/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
10. Ava Restaurant Slash Bar –international cuisine with a 270-degree harbour view.
38th Floor, Hotel Panorama, 8A Hart Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Peninsula, Hong Kong.
There are three fireworks displays over Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong each year.
In addition to the Chinese New Year’s fireworks display on the evening of 6 February are the following two displays …
Chinese National Day Fireworks – Tuesday 1 October. Stars at 9 pm. Lasts about 23 minutes.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks – Tuesday 31 December. Starts at 12 midnight. Last about 23 minutes.
- If you are planning a trip to Hong Kong, please search for your hotel room at TripAdvisor/Hong Kong/hotels. I will get a small commission to help maintain this site at no extra cost to you.