Arts + Culture
Art Basel Hong Kong drew 7o,000 visitors during its five day run from 22 to 26 March 2016 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre in Wanchai, up from 60,000 that attended the fair in 2015.
Art Basel is held each year in 3 cities: Basel, Switzerland; Miami Beach, Florida; and Hong Kong. It is considered the world’s top show for modern and contemporary art.
Artworks on display at Art Basel range from museum quality pieces to works by emerging contemporary artists. Included are paintings, sculptures, installations, videos, multiples, prints, performances – the list goes on.
Art Baselwas divided into 6 sectors: galleries, insights, discoveries, encounters film, and magazines
- 239 art galleries representing more that 4,000 contemporary artists were represented in Galleries this year.
- Insights presented projects developed specifically for the Hong Kong Show. They will all have Asian themes.
- Discoveries focused on emergency contemporary artists from around the world.
- Encounters presented large scale sculptures and installations from around the world.
- There were films by and about artists.
- Art publishers from around the world displayed their publications are Magazines.
Art Basel Hong Kong lasted 5 days, but the first 2 days were by invitation only. It was open to the public from 24 to 26 March 2016.
Thursday, March 24, 2016, 1pm to 9 pm
Friday, March 25, 2016, 1 pm to 8 pm
Saturday, March 26, 2016, 11 am to 6 pm
Art Basel in Basel will be held from 16 to 19 June 2016. Art Basel Miami Beach will be held from 1 to 4 December 2016.
Thanks to Hong Kong’s burgeoning gallery scene, lots of arts events were held throughout the city concurrently with Art Basel – both at art galleries and at museums.
Art Basel was launched in Basel, Switzerland in 1970. Art Basel held its first show in Hong Kong in 2013, with 245 galleries from 35 countries taking part.
Sneak Preview of Art Basel 2016
Michael Taylor and friends at the first day of previews of Art Basel Hong Kong 2016. Photo Credit: Accidental Travel Writer.
Here are some snapshots taken on the first day of previews of Art Basel Hong Kong 2016. Please don’t expect such sparse crowds if you plan to visit during the public viewing days!