National Basketball Association
Best place to watch the New Orleans Pelicans is Smoothie King Center. But what if the Pelicans are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best Penguins bars to watch the game in the company of other Penguins fans.
New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans Team History
The New Orleans Pelicans are a professional basketball team in the United States. The Pelicans play in the Southwest Division of the Western Conference of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
The Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002. Because of the move, they changed their name to the New Orleans Hornets.
Following Katrina in 2005, the team temporarily moved to Oklahoma City. They played two seasons in the Cinderella City. During that time, they called themselves the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.
The basketball team changed its name to the New Orleans Pelicans in 2013.
The Pelicans have won only one division title. And that was in 2008. But they have never won a conference title. Needless to say, they have never won an NBA championship, either.
The New Orleans Pelicans play home games at Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. As a multi-purpose arena, the facility sits within the Central Business District.
And it is next to the Mercedez-Benz Superdome, home of the New Orleans Saints.
Best New Orleans Pelicans Bars in NOLA
The following sports bars and restaurants are popular with New Orleans Pelicans fans.
However, you should always call ahead to make sure they will show the game. Also, ask if the sound will be turned on!
- Bayou Beer Garden – 326 North Jefferson Davis Parkway, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 302-9357.
- American Sports Saloon – 1200 Decatur Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 300-1782. §
- Barcadia New Orleans – 601 Tchoupitoulas Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 335-1740. §
- Tracey’s Original Irish Channel Bar – 2604 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 897-5413. §
- Deja Vieux New Orleans – 1681 Religious Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 248-9553. §
- Loft 18 – 3128 Metairie Road, Metairie, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 827-1059. §
- Mannings Sports Bar & Grill – Harrah’s New Orleans, 228 Poydras Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (800) 427-7247.
- Walk-On’s Sports Bistreaux – 1009 Poydras Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Telephone: (504) 309-6530.
§ Pelicans Bar Krew: the Penguins have partnered with this bar to ensure it will always have the game on TV.
A Word to the Wise
While most of these venues tend to attract Pelicans fans on game day, there are no guarantees.
Sometimes bars won’t turn on the sound. Other times they might show other events. And there is always the chance the venue might be booked for special events.
Also, fans sometimes migrate to other venues. And bars sometimes close.
Therefore, you should always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
Your Input on New Orleans Pelicans Bars Wanted
If you have patronized and of these sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for Pelicans fans, the visibility of TV screens, the quality of the sound, the food, the service – whatever!
Also, please let me know if any of these Pelicans watch bars have closed – or if Pelicans fans are no longer watching basketball games at them.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the New Orleans Pelicans play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Pelican-friendly sports bars in other cities!
This list of the best New Orleans Pelicans sports bars is part of a series of posts on sports bars for fans of NBA teams. This post contains affiliate links.