Holidays and Festivals
Mother’s Day was first celebrated in the United States in 1908 when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother, a peace activist that cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the Civil War. Check out the best Mothers Day quotes.
How Mother’s Day Got Started
US President Woodrow Wilson signed a declaration in 1914 proclaiming the 2nd Sunday in May as Mother’s Day.
By the 1920s, Hallmark and other companies had started selling Mother’s Day cards. The holiday is now celebrated in countries around the world.
While most countries celebrate Mother’s Day on the 2nd Sunday in May, there are many exceptions.
For example, in Britain, Ireland, and Nigeria, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the 4th Sunday in Lent.
And in Myanmar Mother’s Day is celebrated on the Full Moon in January.
Meanwhile, in Norway Mother’s Dat is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday in February.
Most importantly, should you spell mothers as a singular possessive as in mother’s. Or should you spell it as a plural possessive as in mothers’?
According to Anna, it should be singular in order to honour your own mother and “not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers of the world.”
Best Mother’s Day Quotes
A sampling of quotes about mothers by famous people follows.
- A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother’s love endures through all. ~ Washington Irving
- If I was damned of body and soul, I know whose prayers would make me whole, Mother o’ mine, O mother o’mine. ~ Rudyard Kipling
- My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her. ~ George Washington
- You never realize how much your mother loves you till you explore the attic – and find every letter you ever sent her, every finger painting, clay pot, bead necklace, Easter chicken, cardboard Santa Claus, paperlace Mother’s Day card and school report since day one. – Pam Brown
- [A] mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled. ~ Emily Dickinson
- Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. ~ Robert Browning
- The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men – from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
- My mother’s great. She has the major looks. She could stop you from doing anything, through a closed door even, with a single look. Without saying a word, she has that power to rip out your tonsils. ~ Whoopi Goldberg
Whenever I’m with my mother, I feel as though I have to spend the whole time avoiding land mines.~ Amy Tan
- Mother’s Day is in honor of the best Mother who ever lived – the Mother of your heart.
~ Anna Jarvis
Source: Inspiration Oasis