Matt Moore, Pitcher, Detroit Tigers. Photo Credit: Tom Hagerty.
Major League Baseball
Best place to watch the Tigers is Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan. But what if the Tigers are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best Detroit Tigers bars to watch the game with other Tigers fans.
Detroit Tigers Team History
The Detroit Tigers are a professional baseball team in the United States. And the Tigers compete in the Central Division of the American League (AL) of Major League Baseball (MLB).
The Detroit Tigers baseball team was established in 1894. In fact, they are one of the AL’s eight charter franchises. And they are the only team to have remained in the same city and to have retained their original name.
Originally, the team competed in the Western League, a minor league baseball league with teams based in the American Midwest.
The league developed into a major league in 1901. And it changed its name to the American League that year.
Four World Series Championships
The Detroit Tigers have won seven division titles. In addition, they have won 11 AL pennants. Most importantly, they have won four World Series titles.
However, the last time they won the World Series was in 1984. In fact, the Tigers defeated the San Diego Padres four games to one that year.
The 1984 Detroit Tigers won 104 games, making it their best season in the team’s history. In addition, they had their best win percentage (.642) in a 162-game season.
Most importantly, Alan Trammell was the hero of the 1984 Detroit Tigers.
In fact, he had a quick release and pitched the ball with great precision. As a result, he won four Gold Glove awards!
The Detroit Tigers play home games at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit. In fact, the park was named after Comerica Bank.
In addition to hosting the Detroit Tigers, the park occasionally hosts concerts, soccer, and the Hockeytown Winter Festival.
Before the 2000 season, they played in Tiger Stadium, which opened in 1912.
Best Detroit Tigers Bars in Motor City
Here are some of the best sports bars and restaurants in Detroit where you can root for the Tigers with like-minded fans.
In fact, some of these bars have shuttle buses that will take you to the field. And they and bring you back to the bar after the game!
However, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game and that the sound will be turned on.
Because of COVID-19, some of the establishments on this list might be temporarily or permanently closed. Otherwise, or they might not be able to show games or serve alcohol. Therefore, make sure to call first before going!
- Nemo’s – 1384 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 965-3180. Facebook
- Andrews on the Corner – 201 Jos Campau, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 259-8325. Facebook
- Thomas Magee’s – 1408 East Fisher Freeway, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 263-4342. Facebook
- Detroiter Bar – 655 Beaubien Street, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 963-3355. Facebook
- Harry’s Detroit – 2482 Clifford Street, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 964-1575. Facebook
- TAP at MGM Grand Detroit – 1777 – 3rd Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (877) 888-2121. Facebook
- Bookies Bar & Grille – 2208 Cass Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 962-0319. Facebook
- Elwood Bar & Grill – 300 Adams Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 962-2337. Facebook
- Town Pump Tavern – 2233 Park Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 463-6118. Facebook
- Hockeytown Cafe – 2301 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 471-3400. Facebook
- The Old Shillelagh Irish Pub – 349 Monroe Street, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 964-0007. Facebook
- Wright & Company – 1500 Woodward Avenue Floor 2, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 962-7711. Facebook
- Cornerstone Barrel House – 1456 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone: (313) 338-3238. Facebook
Best Detroit Tigers Bars in Other Cities
The following sports bars and restaurants are popular with Detroit Tigers fans.
However, you should always call ahead to make sure they will show the game. Also, ask if the sound will be turned on.
Because of COVID-19, some of the establishments on this list might be temporarily or permanently closed. Otherwise, they might not be able to show games or serve alcohol. Therefore, make sure to call first before going!
- Avenue Tavern – 2914-2916 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois. Telephone: (773-975-7000. Facebook
- The Tin Lizzie – 2483 North Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois. Telephone: (773) 549-1132. Facebook
- Ivy and Coney – 1537 – 7th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 6709-IVY. Facebook
A Word to the Wise
While most of these venues tend to attract Detroit Tigers fans on game day, there are no guarantees.
First of all, not all baseball games are broadcast. And even when they are, sometimes they won’t turn on the sound. Other times they might show other events. And there is always the chance the venue might be booked for special events.
Also, fans sometimes migrate to other venues. And bars sometimes close.
Therefore, you should always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
Your Input on Detroit Tigers Bars Wanted
If you have patronized any of these Detroit Tigers sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for Detroit Tigers fans. For example, is there team memorability on display?
And what about the visibility of TV screens, the resolution, and the quality of the sound?
Finally, how is the food? And what about the service?
Also, please let me know if any of these Detroit Tigers watch bars have closed – or if Detroit fans are no longer watching Tigers games at them.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the Detroit Tigers play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Tigers-friendly sports bars in other cities!
If You Are Going to Detroit …
You Might Also Enjoy …
- NBA – Top 10 Detroit Pistons Sports Bars>>
- NFL – Top 10 Detroit Lions Sports Bars>>
- NHL – Top 10 Detroit Red Wings Sports Bars>>
This list of the best Detroit Tigers sports bars is part of a series of posts on sports bars for fans of Major League Baseball