National Basketball Association
Best place to watch the Wizards is Capital One Arena. But what if the Wizards are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best Washington Wizards bars to watch the game in the company of other Wizard fans.
In This Post
Washington Wizards Team History
The Washington Wizards are a professional basketball team in the United States.
And the Wizards compete in the Southeast Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Interestingly, the franchise has had a rather complicated past. To begin with, the basketball team was founded in 1961 in Chicago, Illinois.
Originally, the team was called the Chicago Packers. Perhaps to avoid confusion with the Green Bay Packers, the team changed its name to the Chicago Zephyrs the following year.
Following the name change, the team decided to change cities. And it moved to Baltimore, Maryland, in 1963. Consequently, it was renamed the Baltimore Bullets.
After spending a decade in Charm City, the team decided to relocate to nearby Washington, DC.
Initially, the team was called the Washington Bullets. Finally, the team renamed itself the Washington Wizards in 1997.
The Washington Wizards have won seven division titles. In addition, the Wizards have won four conference titles.
Most importantly, they won the NBA championship in 1978.
The Washington Wizards play home games at Capital One Arena. In addition to the Wizards, the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League (NHL) also play home games at the arena.
Also, the men’s basketball team of Georgetown University call the facility home.
The arena is located in the Chinatown section of the Nation’s Capital. And it opened in 1997.
Originally, it was known as MCI Center. Then it was called Verizon Center.
Best Washington Wizards Sports Bars
The following sports bars and restaurants are popular with Washington Wizards fans.
However, you should always call ahead to make sure they will show the game. Also, ask if the sound will be turned on.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of COVID-19, some of the establishments on this list might be temporarily or permanently closed. Either that, or they might not be able to show games or serve alcohol. Therefore, make sure to call first before going!
- Rocket Bar – 714 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 628-7665
- The Boardwalk – 507 – 7th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 347-7665
- Jackpot DC – 726 – 7th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 628-5225
- Clyde’s of Gallery Place – 707 7th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 349-3700
- City Tap House Kitchen & Craft – 901 – 9th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 733-5333
- Penn Quarter Sports Tavern – 639 Indiana Avenue NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 347-6666
- High Velocity Sports Bar – Marriott Marquis, 901 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 824-9200
- Public Live Bar – 1214 – 18th Street NW, Washington, DC. Telephone: (202) 223-2200
- Bracket Room – 1210 North Garfield Street, Arlington, Virginia. Telephone: (703) 276-7337
- Fire Works Pizza – 2350 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, Virginia. Telephone: (703) 527-8700.
Best Washington Wizards Bars in Other Cities
Here are some sports bars and restaurants popular with Washington Wizards fans.
While these venues often show Wizard games, there are no guarantees.
Therefore, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game and that the sound will be turned on.
A Word to the Wise
While most of these venues tend to attract Washington Wizards fans on game day, there are no guarantees.
Sometimes they won’t turn on the sound. Other times they might show other events. And there is always the chance the venue might be booked for special events.
Also, fans sometimes migrate to other venues. And bars sometimes close.
Therefore, you should always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
Your Input on Washington Wizards Bars Wanted
If you have patronized and of the above mentioned Washington Wizards sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for fans Washington Wizards , the visibility of TV screens, the quality of the sound, the food, the service – whatever!
Also, please let me know if any of these Washington Wizards watch bars have closed, Or if Washington fans are no longer watching Wizards games at them.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the Washington Wizards play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Wizard-friendly sports bars in other cities!
You Might Also Like …
- Top 10 Washington Nationals Sports Bars>>
- Top 10 Washington Redskins Sports Bars>>
- Top 10 Washington Capitals Sports Bars>>
This list of the best Washington Wizards sports bars is part of a series of posts on sports bars for fans of NBA teams. Furthermore, it contains affiliate links.