Pride parades are expected to be larger than ever – and less joyous than in recent years – in light of the tragic event in Orlando, Florida. Last year, marchers celebrated the legalization of same sex marriage. And now this …
Gay Pride celebrations are held on different dates in different cities.
In Australia, for example, the 2015 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras was held on 1 March. In Amsterdam in the Netherlands it will be held on 1 August. In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, it will be held in mid-October.
Most Gay Pride Parades in the United States are held in June, which is unofficially known as 'Gay Pride' month.
In Hawaii, the Honolulu Pride Parade was held on 7 June. The LA Pride Parade was held in Los Angeles on 8 June. Alaska PrideFest was held in Anchorage on 14 June.
Where It All Got Started
The most historically significant Gay Pride Parade, of course, will be held this weekend in New York City, where it all got started 45 years ago.
A guide to this weekend's Top 10 Gay Pride Parades follows (with links for more information). Please note: while most of the parades are taking place on Sunday, and few are being held on Saturday.
We apologize for any mistakes or omissions.
- New York, New York - Begins at 36th Street and Fifth Avenue at 12 noon on 26 June 2016. Ends at Christopher and Greenwich Streets in Greenwich Village. Now in its 46th year.
- San Francisco, California - Begins at Market and Beal Streets at 10.30 am on 26 June 2016. Ends at Market and 8th Streets. Now inits 46th year.
- Chicago, Illinois - Begins at Broadway and Montrose at 12 noon on 26 June 2016. Now in its 47th year.
- Seattle, Washington - Begins at Fourth Avenue and Union Street at 11 am on Sunday 26 June 2016. Now in its 42nd year.
- Toronto, Ontario - Begins at 1 pm on Sunday 26 June 2016. Now in its 36th year.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota - Begins at 3rd Street and Hennepin Avenue at 11 am on 26 June 2016. Ends at Spruce and Hennepin.
- Cleveland, Ohio – NEW STEPPING OFF POINTThe parade will step off at downtown's Mass C at 11 am on Saturday 13 August 2016. Now in its 28th year.
- London, England - Begins at Baker Street at 11 am on Saturday 25 June 2016. Ends at Whitehall.
- Paris, France - Begins at the Place du 18 Juin 1940 at 1.30 pm on Saturday 25 June 2016. Ends at the Place de la Bastille.
- Augusta, Georgia - Begins at Jones and 11th Street at 11 am on Saturday 25 June 2016. Ends at Augusta Common.