National Hockey League
Best place to watch the Colorado Avalanche is Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado. But what if the Avs are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best Colorado Avalanche bars to watch the game in the company of other Avs fans.
Nordiques/Avalanche Franchise History
First of all, the team was founded in 1972 as the Quebec Nordiques. And they represented Quebec City in the Canadian province of Quebec.
Then in 1995, the franchise moved to Denver, Colorado, in the United States. Consequently, the team needed a new name. So it was renamed the Colorado Avalanche.
As a professional ice hockey team, the Colorado Avalanche play in the Central Division of the Western Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL).
The Avalanche have won nine division championships since moving to Denver.
In addition, the ice hockey team has won two president’s trophies. Furthermore, it has won two conference championships.
Most importantly, the Avs have won two Stanley Cups! As a result, two champions banners hang proudly from the ceiling of Pepsi Center.
The Avs play home games at Pepsi Center in Denver Colorado.
The Colorado Avalanche share the multipurpose arena with the Denver Nuggets of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
In addition, the Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League (NLL) also play home games at the arena.
Denver also plays host to the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL). The football team plays home games at Empower Field at Mile High.
Best Colorado Avalanche Bars in Denver
Here are seven of the best sports bars and restaurants in Denver, Colorado, where you can root for the Avs with liked minded fans.
However, not all bars show all ice hockey games. Therefore, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game and that the sound will be turned on.
- The Sportsbook Bar & Grill – 266 B S. Downing Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: Telephone: (303) 635-6691. – “You love hockey, and so do we; watch all the NHL action here @ The Book …”
- Giggling Grizzly – 1320 – 20th Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 297-8300.
- Old Chicago – 1280 South Colorado Blvd, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 753-0824.
- Blake Street Tavern – 2301 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 675-0505.
- Falling Rock Tap House – 1919 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 293-8338.
- Sobo 151 – 151 South Broadway, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 778-1560.
- Sports Column – 1930 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 296-1930.
Best Colorado Avalanche Bars in Other Cities
Here are 10 of the best sports bars and restaurants in other parts of Colorado, where Avs fans tend to gather on game day.
Because some bars don’t show all games, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game. In addition, make sure to ask if the sound will be turned on.
- The Sportsbook Bar & Grill – 9660 East Arapahoe Road, Greenwood Village, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 799-1300.
- Breckenridge Brewery – 2920 Brewery Lane, Littleton, Colorado. Telephone: (844) 682-7325.
- Red Zone Pumphouse Brewery – 540 Main Street, Longmont, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 702-0881.
- Road 34 – 1213 West Elizabeth Street, Fort Collins, Colorado. Telephone: (970) 221-3434.
- CB Potts Restaurant & Brewery – 6575 South Greenwood Plaza Boulevard, Englewood, Colorado.
- Bubba’s 33 – 5807 Constitution Avenue, Colorado Springs, Colorado. Telephone: (719) 576-1223.
- Top Golf Thornton – 16011 Grant Street, Thornton, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 785-6350.
- Hoffbrau – 9110 Wadsworth Parkway, Westminster, Colorado. Telephone: (303) 422-7755.
- Old Chicago – several locations in Northern Colorado.
A Word to the Wise
While a few of these venues are official Colorado Avalanche watch bars, that does not mean they show all games.
What it does mean is that they will occasionally host team watch parties, which are sponsored by Coors Light. You might even win a prize!
In addition, not all of these sports bars are exclusively Avalanche team hangouts. However, they do tend to attract lots of Avs fans on game day.
Sometimes fans migrate to other bars. Sometimes bars close. And sometimes they are booked for special events.
Therefore, you should always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
Your Input on Colorado Avalanche Bars Wanted
If you have patronized any of the above mentioned sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for Avs fans, the visibility of TV screens, the quality of the sound, the food, the service – whatever!
Also, please let me know if any of these watch bars has closed – or if Colorado fans are no longer watching Avs games at them.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the Colorado Avalanche play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Avs-friendly sports bars in other states!
This list of the best Colorado Avalanche sports bars is part of a series on sports bars for fans of NHL teams.