National Basketball Association
Best place to watch the Hawks is State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. But what if the Hawks are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best Atlanta Hawks bars to watch the game in the company of other Hawks fans.
Bison/Blackhawks/Hawks Team History
The Atlanta Hawks are a professional basketball team in the United States. They play in the Southeast Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
However, the franchise has had a rather circuitous history. Originally founded in 1946, the team was first based in Buffalo, New York. The team’s original name was the Buffalo Bisons.
After playing only 38 games in Western New York, the team moved to Moline, Illinois, in 1946. It was renamed the Tri-Cities Blackhawks.
In 1951, the basketball team moved to Wisconsin. Based in Milwaukee, it was called the Milwaukee Hawks.
Then the team moved to Missouri in 1955. Based in St. Louis, it was renamed the St. Louis Hawks.
Finally, the Hawks moved to their current home in 1998. They have been called the Atlanta Hawks ever since.
The Hawks have won five division titles and four conference titles between 1957 and 1961.
The Hawks have won the NBA championship only once. That was in 1958, when the basketball team was playing in St. Louis.
The team plays home games at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.
Can da team bring A-Town its first NBA championship this year?
Best Atlanta Hawks Bars in Georgia
Here are 10 of the best sports bars and restaurants in Georgia where you can root for the Hawks in the company of like-minded fans.
Keep in mind that not all bars show all games. And when they do, they sometimes leave the sound turned off.
Therefore, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game and that the sound will be turned on.
- Hudson Grille – 942 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 892-0892. There are six other Georgia locations. – “Your home for Hawks basketball!”
- Irby’s Tavern – 322 East Paces Ferry Road NE, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 254-1333.
- McCray’s Tavern – 1163 West Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 937-6444. Additional locations in Lawrenceville and Smyrna.
- STATS Brewpub – 300 Marietta Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 885-1472
- Hooters of Downtown Atlanta – 209 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 522-9464.
- El Super Pan at Battery – 455 Legends Place, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 521-6500.
- Ponce Sports Lounge – 3924 East Ponce de Leon Avenue, Clarkston, Georgia. Telephone: (470) 358-1241.
- The U Bar – 3515 Camp Creek Pkwy #50-70, East Point, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 349-2301.
- The Tavern – 3560 Camp Creek Parkway, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 349-9285.
- Yard House – 261 19th Street NW #1100, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 815-8990.
- Topgolf – 1600 Ellsworth Industrial Blvd NW, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (404) 475-4000.
- Taco Mac – 933 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, Georgia. Telephone: (678) 904-7211
A Word to the Wise
While not all of these sports bars are exclusively Hawks hangouts, they do tend to attract lots of Atlanta fans on game day.
However, Sometimes fans migrate to other bars. Sometimes bars close. And sometimes they are booked for special events.
Always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
Your Input on Atlanta Hawks Bars Wanted
If you have patronized any of the above mentioned Hawks sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for Hawks fans, the visibility of TV screens, the quality of the sound, the food, the service – whatever!
Also, please let me know if any of these Atlanta watch bars have closed – or if Atlanta fans are no longer watching Hawks games at them. The same goes for any typos or corrections.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the Atlanta Hawks play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Hawks-friendly sports bars in other Georgia cities and in other states!
If You Are Going to Visit Atlanta …
There is more to do in the Athens of the South than root for the Hawks!
Check out what to see, what to do, where to eat, and where to stay at …
This list of the best Atlanta Hawks sports bars is part of a series of posts on sports bars for fans of NHL teams. This post contains affiliate links.