National Hockey League
Best place to watch the Devils is Prudential Center in Newark. But what if the Devils are playing on the road? Or what if you can’t get (or afford) a ticket to the game? Check out the best New Jersey Devils bars to watch the game in the company of other Devils fans.
Devils Team History
The New Jersey Devils are a professional ice hockey team in the United States. And the Devils compete in the East. division of the National Hockey League (NHL).
First, the franchise was established in 1974 as the Kansas City Scouts. And they played home games in Kansas City Missouri.
Two years later, the Scouts relocated to Denver, Colorado, And they changed their name to the Colorado Rockies.
Then, in 1982, the team moved to New Rutherford, New Jersey. And they changed their name to the New Jersey Devils.
Finally, in 2007, they moved to Newark, New Jersey. And they have played home games there ever since.
So where did they get their current name? In fact, the team was named after the Jersey Devil, a legendary creature that is thought to have inhabited the Pine Barrens of South Jersey.
The New Jersey Devils have won nine division championships. While they have never won a President’s Trophy, they have won five conference championships.
Most importantly, the Devils have won the Stanley Cup three times. They won it the first time in 1995, the second time in 2000, and the third time in 2003.
The New Jersey Devils play home games at Prudential Center in downtown Newark.
In addition to hosting the Devils, the multi-purpose facility also hosts the Seton Hall Pirates of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) Highlanders of the NCAA, and the New Jersey Rockets of the United States Premier Hockey League (USPHL).
Furthermore, and the facility also hosts other kinds of events. For example. musical concerts are also sometimes held there.
In addition to the New Jersey Devils, two other NHL teams to play in the New York Metropolitan Area. In fact, the New York Rangers are based in New York City. Ane the New York Islanders are based on Long Island.
Best Devils Sports Bars in Newark
Here are 10 of the best sports bars and restaurants in Newark where you can root for the Devils with like-minded fans.
However, you should call ahead to make sure they will show the game and that the sound will be turned on.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of COVID-19, some of the establishments on this list might be temporarily or permanently closed. Either that, or they might not be able to show games or serve alcohol. Therefore, make sure to call first before going!
- Edison Ale House – 521 Eidson Place, Newark, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 643-5560. FACEBOOK
- Redd’s Biergarten – 220 Market Street, Newark, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 877-6600. FACEBOOK
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que – 224 Market Street, Newark, New Jersey. Telephone: (862) 214-6100. FACEBOOK
- Mercato Tomato Pie. – 212 Market Street, Newark, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 241-1542. FACEBOOK
Best New Jersey Devils Bars in Other Cities
The following sports bars and restaurants are popular with New Jersey Devils fans.
However, you should always call ahead to make sure they will show the game. Also, ask if the sound will be turned on.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of COVID-19, some of the establishments on this list might be temporarily or permanently closed. Therefore, make sure to call first before going!
- Grasshopper off the Green – 41-43 Morris Street, Morristown, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 285-5150. FACEBOOK
- GrilleStone – 2377 U.S. Highway 22, Scotch Plains, New Jersey. Telephone: (908) 889-8000. FACEBOOK
- Game Time Bar and Grill – 110 Schanck Road, Freehold, New Jersey. Telephone: (732) 577-8200.
- Mother’s Ale House – 95 Mountainview Blvd., Wayne, 110 Schanck Road, Freehold, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 633-7400. FACEBOOK
- The Pig & Parrot – 77 Hudson Street, Hoboken, New Jersey. Telephone: (201) 683-7369. FACEBOOK
- Spirit Eatery & Social Drinks – 250 Morris Avenue, Springfield Township, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 258-1600 . FACEBOOK
- Moore’s Tavern – 402 West Main Street, Freehold Township. New Jersey. Telephone: (732) 863-0555. FACEBOOK
- Monmouth Park Sports Book by William Hill – 75 Oceanport Avenue, Oceanport, New Jersey. Telephone: (732) 222-5100. FACEBOOK
- La Taverna Cocktail Lounge -234 Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 226-8889 FACEBOOK
- Cucina Calandra – 216 US-46, Fairfield, New Jersey. Telephone: (973) 575-7720. FACEBOOK
- Texas Arizona – 76 River Street, Hoboken, New Jersey. Telephone: (201) 420-0304, FACEBOOK
- The Ainsworth – 310 Sinatra Drive, Hoboken, New Jersey. Telephone: (201) 716-7070, FACEBOOK
- Calandra’s Italian Village – 234 Bloomfield Avenue, Caldwell, New Jersey. Telephone: (273) 226-8889. FACEBOOK
- Get New Jersey Devils sports gear at Amazon.com NOW!
Word to the Wise
While most of these venues tend to attract New Jersey Devils fans on game day, there are no guarantees.
Sometimes they won’t turn on the sound. Other times they might show other events. And there is always the chance the venue might be booked for special events.
Also, fans sometimes migrate to other venues. And bars sometimes close.
Therefore, you should always call ahead to make sure that the game you want to watch will be broadcast.
- Get New Jersey Devils sports gear at Amazon.com NOW! #AD
Traveling to a Jersey Devils Game?
Should you fly, drive, or take the train? If you live nearby, driving or taking the train, subway, or bus is probably the best option. However, if you are traveling from a distance, flying would be the fastest and most convenient way to go.
The New Jersey Devils play homes games at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. And the New York – New Jersey area has three airports. So which airport should you fly into?
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA) – 20 miles from Prudential Center.
- New York JFK Airport (JFK) – 39 miles Prudential Center.
- Newark Airport (EWR) – 7 miles from Prudential Center.
Check out cheapOair for the best New York travel deals. When searching flights, use NYC if you don’t care which airport you want to fly into. Otherwise, use the specific airport code: LGA, JFK, or EWR.
Your Input on New Jersey Devils Bars Wanted
If you have patronized any of these New Jersey Devils sports bars, please leave comments (pro or con) in the COMMENT box below.
You can mention the ambiance for New Jersey Devils fans, the visibility of TV screens, the quality of the sound, the food, the service – whatever!
Also, please let me know if any of these New Jersey Devils watch bars have closed – or if New Jersey fans are no longer watching Devils games at them.
Your own recommendations on where to watch the New Jersey Devils play will also be greatly appreciated! Especially welcome would be Devils-friendly sports bars in other cities!
- Get New Jersey Devils sports gear at Amazon.com NOW! #AD
This list of the best New Jersey Devils sports bars is part of a series of posts on sports bars for fans of NHL teams