One of only four Chinese restaurants in the world with three Michelin stars, T’ang Court is the fine dining Chinese restaurant at The Langham, Hong Kong, a five star hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui on the Kowloon side of Victoria Harbour. Here’s the chef’s recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork with Fresh Fruits.
After enjoying Sweet and Sour Pork with Fresh Fruits at a Chinese banquet at T’ang Court, I got in touch with the hotel’s PR department to see if a cooking demonstration could be arranged.
For convenience, the ingredients for sweet and sour pork with fresh fruit can be divided into three groups: solid, marinade, and sauce.
Ingredients for the each three of the groups are best prepared in advance and set aside. Timing is key in Cantonese cookery.
- 211 ml pork
- 73 ml of pineapple (cut in cubes)
- 8 longan (or lichee)
- 4 strawberries
- 6 wedges green bell peppers
- 6 wedges yellow green peppers
- 1 ml salt
- 1 ml cornflour
- 1 egg
- 160 ml rice vinegar
- 50 ml tomato sauce
- 20 ml OK Fruity Sauce
- 10 ml Worcestershire Sauce
1. Mix ingredients for sweet and sour sauce and set aside.
2. Trim fat from pork and cut into cubes.
3. Mix cornflower, salt, and egg in a bowl.
4. Marinate pork cubes in mixture for about 30 minutes.
5. Assemble all of the ingredients near the stove.
6. Thoroughly heat oil in a wok.
7. Deep fry pork in oil until golden brown and set aside.
8. Quickly poach pineapple and strawberries in a small amount of water and set aside.
9. Fry bell peppers quickly in oil.
10. Add sweet and sour sauce and boil until thick.
11. Add pork and continue boiling.
12. Add the pineapple and strawberries, stir thoroughly, and serve immediately.
Executive Chef Wong Chi Fai presents his mouth-watering version of Sweet and Sour Pork. Photo Credit: Accidental Travel Writer.
The recipe serves six people. It has been modified slightly for the convenience of home cooks.
The weight measurements used by professional chefs, for example, have been converted to the volume measurements more popular with home cooks.
Want to Know More?
Click HERE for a detailed personal account of my trip to the kitchen of T’ang Court to watch Executive Chef Wong Chi Fai cook my favouite Chinese dish – with LOTS of photos!
T’ang Court – The Langham Place, 8 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.Telephone: (852) 2132-7898.