International Dragon Boat Carnival is held in Hong Kong on the weekend following the Dragon Boat Festival. Photo Credit: Hong Kong Tourism Board.
The Dragon Boat Festival falls on Friday 3 June in 2022, but the celebrations have been scaled back this year because of COVID-19. Moreover, several of the events have been postponed until later in the year. And some events have been cancelled altogether. For example, the Dragon Boat Carnival will not be held this year.
The Dragon Boat Festival is also known as the Tuen Ng Festival in Hong Kong and the Duan Wu Festival in China. And it commemorates the death of a popular Chinese poet, Qu Yuan, who drowned himself in the Mi Lo River more than 2,000 years ago to protest against corrupt rulers.
According to legend, townspeople beat drums to scare fish away and threw dumplings into the sea to keep the fish from eating his body. And from this somewhat macabre story comes the joyous spectacle of dragon boat racing.
In addition, everyone likes to feast on those yummy sticky rice dumplings that are a hallmark of the festival!
In This Post
June 2022 Dragon Boat Races in Hong Kong
Many of the traditional Dragon Boat activities have been postponed in 2022 because of COVID-19. The following events are going ahead as planned. And scroll down for postponed events.
Stanley International Dragon Boat Championships – Friday 3 June 2022
- From 8.00 am to (approximately) 5.00 pm at Stanley Main Beach on Hong Kong Island.
Tai O Dragon Boat Festival – Friday 3 June 2022
- From 8.00 am to (approximately) 2.00 pm on the Tai O Promenade on Lantau Island.
September 2022 Dragon Boat Races in Hong Kong
Saikung Dragon Boat Festival – Sunday 8 September 2022
- From 8.00 am to (approximately) 1.30 pm on the Saikung Town Waterfront in the New Territories.
October 2022 Dragon Boat Races in Hong Kong
Aberdeen Dragon Boat Races – Sunday 2 October 2022
- From 8.00 am to (approximately) 6.00 pm at the Aberdeen Promenade/Aberdeen West Typhoon Shelter on Hong Kong Island.
Tai Po District Dragon Boat Race – Sunday 16 October 2022
- From 8.30 am to (approximately) 1 pm at Promenade at Tai Po Waterfront Park, Tai Po
Sha Tin Dragon Boat Race – Sunday 23 October 2022
- From 8.0 am to (approximately) 1.00 pm on the Shing Mun River in Sha Tin in the New Territories.
Dragon Boat Carnival
The International Dragon Boat Carnival has been postponed in 2022 because of the coronavirus.
CCB (Asia) Hong Kong International Dragon Boat Races is recognized as an “M” Mark Event by the Major Sports Events Committee.
Winning teams from local and international races will compete against Hong Kong’s best to be named victors of the international grand championships.