Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant
I learned how to make Yam Ma-muang Koong Sod at the Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand.
The dish is called spicy and sour green mango salad with prawns in English, and it was delicious! The dish is cool and refreshing.
The dish can be a bit spicy, but the level of spiciness can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the amount of chilies used. If you’re afraid of heat, you can leave them out altogether.
Yam Ma-muang Koong Sod was one of four dishes that I learned how to make in a half-day culinary course in Royal Thai cookery at the popular cooking school.
The course included a trip to a nearby wet market to source ingredients and a gourmet lunch that the students prepared themselves in the class.
Green Mango Salad with Prawns Recipe
Here is the recipe for green mango salad with prawns, courtesy of the Blue Elephant Cooking School
Ingredients for Green Mango Salad with Prawns
- 4 tablespoons grated raw green mango
- 4 pieces prawns (already poached in boiling water)
- 3 pieces shallot (peeled and finely sliced)
- 2 stems coriander leaves (cut)
- 1 tablespoon roasted grated coconut meat
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts (ground)
- Ingredients for Salad Dressing
- 4 pieces bird’s eye chilies
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar
- Coriander leaves
- Pound garlic and bird’s eye chilies together in a mortar; set aside
- Add fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind juice, palm sugar, and paste from mortar in a mixing bowl and mix well
- Add prawns, grated raw mango, coriander stem (chopped), sliced shallots, ground roasted peanut, and roasted coconut meat and toss gently
- Serve on a plate and garnish with coriander leaves
Want to Know More?
- Click HERE for a detailed personal account of the course with LOTS of photos!
If You Are Visiting Thailand
Blue Elephant Cooking School and Restaurant – 233 South Sathorn Road, Yannawa, Bangkok, Thailand. Tel: (66) 2-673-9353-8.